After a marketer puts in the work to send a lead over to sales, is there job finished, so they can move onto generating more leads?
A Marketer, Podcast Host, named one of the Top Sales Women to Watch in 2019, and the VP, Sales and Marketing at SmartBug Media, Jen Spencer, challenges marketers to continue to nurture their buyers along every step of the buyer’s journey. A marketer’s job is never done.
This episode is full of strategy for marketing to partner with sales, takeaways on podcasts in marketing, and career advice for every marketer. Check it out!
- If you are supporting people where they are in their buyer's journey with your content, you should never stop nurturing them.
- “Just because you have lead nurture campaigns set up does not mean they are good.” - Jen Spencer
- Set goals for your nurture campaigns then analyze them, for what’s working and what you can improve.
- Marketers, listen to what sales tells you. Are you sending too much of one message or too little of another?
- Take the time to target your messaging, what works for one segment of your database, may not work for the next.
- Have a strong arsenal of valuable content and tools that the client can use to do their job better.
- If you’re offering an incentive, make sure that it is relevant to your buyer.
- Marketing should work with sales to create nurture campaigns catered to each opportunity stage. For example, if an opportunity is stalled, what can marketing do to help that deal move through the pipeline?
- Podcasts help build relationships at scale, with people that listen to them and with the people interviewed on the show.
- Using the download data from a podcast can be an indicator for what content is valuable and popular to your audience.
- Sales is harder than most people think.
- Jen’s advice to marketers for working with sales: “Think about how you can make it easier for sales to be effective in helping that person transition from being in the hands of marketing into the hands of sales.” - Jen Spencer
- You are worth more than you think you are and you know more than you think you do. Do not create non-existent barriers for yourself.
- Marketers need to sit on more sales calls, especially in their early career, they will learn so much.
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jenspencer/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/jenspencer
- SmartBug Media: https://www.smartbugmedia.com/
- Podcast: SmartBug. On tap: https://www.smartbugmedia.com/podcast
- B2B Marketing Exchange: https://b2bmarketing.exchange/speakers/jen-spencer/
- Marketing should stop nurturing leads when they become an opportunity. - This is NOT the case, marketing should be nurturing buyers throughout the entire journey. The messaging and content should be purposed specifically to match each stage of the buyer’s journey.
- 13:12 AtriumHQ