With the growing tech world and large community outreach online it is hard to avoid the attraction of having a company social media presence. But how is the social being used? Is it just a strategy or does it represent a bigger position or purpose?
A Digital Strategy Media Leader; Global Chief Marketing Officer; Former VP of Advertising, Media, Digital, and Social Media at The Wendy’s Company; Former the Global CMO of Papa John’s International; Former Global CMO of Potbelly Sandwich Works; Brandon Rhoten, shares his wisdom on how to build a brand and stay true to its main objective.
- Spend your time, money, and resources on platforms that cultivate a larger brand goal. A social media brand without a goal is like performing tactics without objectives.
- “Brands that are magic understand who they are in the world. They are comfortable in their own skin.” ~Brandon Rhoten
- Understand the emotional and functional needs that your brand fulfills for people. Use them as a baseline for communicating how you meet those needs in a compelling way.
- Be true to the brand, not the tactic. Tactics, for example a spokesperson, should bring forward a larger position or objective rather than becoming the main focus.
- “If you can take the logo and put it on a totally different category of product and you understand what that product would feel like you have a great brand. A great brand carries something bigger than featured benefit or product.” ~Brandon Rhoten
- Career Advice: Save some money so you can take risks in your career.
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/brandonrhoten/
- Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/brhoten/
- Wendy’s Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wendys
- 1:02:39 Seth Godin
- Not every brand needs to be on social media. Social media is a strategy that can be used to further a larger goal that is bigger than the platform. However, it is not a requirement to create a great brand.
Ways to Tune In:
- iTunes - https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-hard-corps-marketing-show/id1338838763
- Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/show/1vVLpNI1LssMTiL6Kdsamn
- Stitcher - https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-hard-corps-marketing-show
- Google Play - https://play.google.com/music/m/Im7mytmu2wa2mekhoeixlja5hpe?t=The_Hard_Corps_Marketing_Show
- YouTube - Full video - httphttps://youtu.be/BFVJVeCIza0